Austrian Hospice Café
The Austrian Hospice, a stately building behind a heavy gate occupying the corner of Al-Wad Road and the Via Dolorosa in the Old City's Moslem Quarter, encapsulates the turbulent history of both Jerusalem and Europe over the past 150 years. Founded as a center for Austrian Catholic pilgrims (it is steps away from the third and fourth Stations of the Cross) and as a display of the Austro-Hungarian Empire's grandeur in 1857, it was seized by the British during World War II and converted to a hospital by the Jordanians following the end of the British Mandate, which it remained until it was returned to Austrian control in the 1980s.
It now serves as a hotel for pilgrims and tourists, and is home to the Austrian Hospice Cafe, a coffeehouse in the Viennese tradition. The cafe serves a continental menu of coffee, tea and alcohol, along with what well may be the only traditional Austrian fare in Jerusalem, including apple strudel, Wiener schnitzel and more.
לקפה ההוספיס האוסטרי בעברית לחץ כאן