The Ticho House
Tourists flock to Jerusalem for the glimpse it offers of the ancient world, but almost as interesting is the period around the turn of the 20th century in which Jerusalem was transformed from a sleepy Ottoman backwater into a thriving modern city. Several Jerusalem museums offer a glimpse into this era, among them the Ticho House, an Arab manor set right off Jaffa Road.
Avraham Ticho moved to Jerusalem from Moravia in 1912 to open an eye clinic for Jerusalem's Arab and Jewish citizens, and his wife Anna's paintings of the rocky, olive tree-studded hills surrounding the city would eventually make her one of the stars of the nascent artistic renaissance in Palestine.
The Ticho House is home to a gallery of Anna's paintings, Avraham's chanukiyah (Chanukah menorah) collection, and a library stocked with books on the city of Jerusalem. Cultural events, including concerts and poetry readings, are often hosted.
לבית אנה טיכו בעברית לחץ כאן